Sandstone is a naturally occurring sedimentary rock. It is found in abundance in the earth’s crust and is one of the most common rocks. It can be found in a variety of colors. The most common are the shades of tan, Brown, shell pink, red, yellow, white and grey.
Sandstone is used extensively for construction processes and for designing landscapes. Following are some of the common applications of sandstone blocks:
- Big blocks of sandstone can be used as foundation stones and building stone walls
- It can be used for decoration purposes as well
- Most people use sandstone blocks to design the fireplace walls. Even use it as a wall cladding material and to be used to cover the walkways
- Sandstone blocks are also used as a flooring options
- Since it is easy to cut and curve it can be used to design arches and pillars. It is also used to design garden furniture and other stone articles.
Sandstone blocks are used extensively when it comes to designing the interior and exterior space such as retaining wall blocks. It is popular for both commercial as well as residential projects. The main reason why it is used extensively by interior decorators is that there are certain characteristics which it possesses.
Advantages of sandstone blocks for building and decoration purposes
- One of the major reasons why sandstone blocks are used is because these tend to be suitable for all kinds of weather conditions. It would be of good use in both warm and cold seasons. It has a rustic appeal and the neutral shades of sandstone can actually help retain the warmth during the cold weather and remain cool during the hot sunny days.
- Sandstone blocks are also quite durable. When used the proper way it has the ability to withstand all kinds of weather conditions. It can easily live up to any of the environmental factors of human activities which might cause damage to it. It is also less prone to seepage and corrosion and therefore has a long and extensive life.
- It can be cut and fit to perfection. It is quite easy to cut in parts and it easily take the desired shape and form. Which is why it is used extensively by interior decorators for cladding the walls, laying down the foundation of a fireplace and also used to design sandstone sculptures.
- It occurs in a wide variety of colors and shades. Usually natural stones lose the color after prolonged usage. However when you use sandstone you can rest assured that it would retain its color and actually becomes more appealing as it ages due to natural weathering.
- Sand stone blocks are easy to install and are just one time investment. You do not need to do a whole lot of maintenance once the blocks have been installed. They are able to retain the shape and size without any additional maintenance.
- Sandstone blocks have any anti-skid surface does making them ideal to be used around the pool or as natural flooring.